Grants and awards
For more information, see my personal page.
I won the following research grants. If not otherwise noted, I am/was the principal investigator in each case.
- High-Capacity Knowledge Processing Pipeline, Projekt B08 in Phase II of the DFG SFB 912 HAEC: Highly Adaptive Energy-Efficient Computing
- 48 months, start July 2015, Principal Investigator, 484.800 EUR
- Data Integration and Access by Merging Ontologies and Databases (DIAMOND) Projekt KR 4381/1-1 in the DFG Emmy Noether Programme
- 60 months, start Nov 2013, 1.257.300 EUR
- Wikidata Toolkit Individual Engagement Grant der Wikimedia Foundation; the resulting software project Wikidata Toolkit continues
- 6 months, start Feb 2014, 22.500 EUR
- Domain-Theoretic Methods for Formal Concept Analysis, scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), hosted by CWRU Cleveland
- 3 months, 2004, 3.700 EUR
Below are personal awards that I have had the honour to receive, newest on top.
- Heinz Maier-Leibnitz Prize 2016 of the German Research Foundation
- IJCAI-15 Distinguished Paper (Honourable Mention) for Reasonable Highly Expressive Query Languages at the 24th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence; one of three papers to receive an award among 1996 Submissions (with P. Bourhis, S. Rudolph)
- Best reviewer award at the 14th International Semantic Web Conference ISWC 2015
- Multiple awards for ELK reasoner in categories EL classification, EL consistency, and EL realisation at the OWL Reasoner Evaluation Workshop 2015, the third year in a row (with Yevgeny Kazakov, Pavel Klinov, and Frantisek Simancik)
- Medal of the Kurt Gödel Society for the achievements of the ELK reasoner at the OWL Reasoner Evaluation Workshop 2014 (with Yevgeny Kazakov, Pavel Klinov, and Frantisek Simancik)
- Multiple awards for ELK reasoner in categories EL classification, EL consistency, and Live Competition (EL classification) at the OWL Reasoner Evaluation Workshop 2013 (with Yevgeny Kazakov, Pavel Klinov, and Frantisek Simancik)
- Best Paper nomination at the 11th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2012) for The Not-So-Easy Task of Computing Class Subsumptions in OWL RL
- Winner of KIT Doctoral Award 2011 for Description Logic Rules in the area of Information, Communication, Organisation (one out of six areas in which the prize is awarded by Karlsruhe Institute of Technology each year).
- Textbook Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies selected by the American Library Association as an Outstanding Academic Title in 2010 (out of 7000 new books that have been reviewed in detail)
- Winner of 3rd prize at the 2010 Semantic Web Challenge for the entry Shortipedia (with Denny Vrandecic, Varun Ratnakar, Yolanda Gil)
- Best Paper Award for Efficient Inferencing for OWL EL at the 12th European Conference on Logics in Artificial Intelligence (JELIA 2010)
- do it.software-award 2007: third price of the 2007 do it software awards for Semantic MediaWiki (ISWC2006) (with Denny Vrandecic, York Sure, Rudi Studer)
- Finalist of Semantic Web Challenge 2006 for the entry Semantic MediaWiki (together with Denny Vrandecic, Max Völkel)
- Best Poster Award at 5th European Semantic Web Conference, ESWC 2006 (together with Max Völkel, Denny Vrandecic, Heiko Haller, Rudi Studer)
- Georg-Helm-Preis 2005: best Master's thesis in 2005; yearly award given to two or three graduates (Master's/PhD) of TU Dresden
- Bestes Vordiplom 2002: award for best Computer Science pre-degree at TU Dresden (best grade point average)